Friday, March 11, 2011

Spin Class- Sounds Easy Right?

For any of you who have never been to a Spin/Cycle class... it probably doesn't sound that bad right? Just having fun, pushing pedals for an hour or so- nothing to it right? HA! So not true!

I found spin class during my undergradate at my school gym. I still remember the first time I went- during the warm up song I'm thinking "oh this is fun!" and after about 5 minutes I wanted to cry and walk out. I didn't understand why ANYONE would willingly come to spin class, let alone continue to come back week after week! Even more difficult for me to comprehend were the crazies who would do the 5:30 spin class and THEN do the 6:30 pilates class after. Little did I know I would soon become one of those "crazies!"


Spin class to me is one of those classes that gets better everytime you go. During that first class I basically thought I was going to pass out and die the whole time (ok maybe that's a little dramatic), and afterwards I wasn't able to sit without discomfort for probably close to a week. After that FIRST class though I really came to enjoy and love the class. Now I find even if I go for months or even years, I don't have the horribly painful feeling "below" like I did that first time or as much soreness. I actually find if I go a long time without spin class I REALLY miss it! I find it such a great workout. Nothing is quite like it, and it fits in well with a lot of my training plans I have done for running races as a good cross training activity.

So since graduating with my Master of Education in College Student Personnel Administration in December of 2009, I have been sadly without a real gym. I had the gym at my apartment complex before we bought our home, but it just had a few rundown treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a few weight machines, etc. It wasn't bad but it didn't have what I really wanted... fitness classes... specifically... SPIN CLASS!

For the past few months I have been researching gyms and trying to determine if I really thought it was worth the price. Do I really need a gym? I can run for free outside, why should I spend money on a membership? What about contracts? What if I just buy a treadmill? The questions go on and on... However I decided to do some research and find out pricing so I could get back to fitness classes!

Throughout my research I kept coming back to LA Fitness. One of my coworkers joined and she had great things to say about it and the price seemed right up my alley. My friend Jen mentioned she had been interested in joining a gym as well, so she agreed to go with me to check it out and see how we liked it. Well turns out there was a spin class being offered right at the time we were planning on going! Perfect!

Wow. Lets just say spinning was even HARDER than I remembered. During the class I got increasingly worried that Jen was never going to speak to me again after I forced encouraged her to take the class with me. I have to say that I am very proud of her though- she made it through the class with flying colors! She didn't look nearly as bad as I'm sure I looked during my first spin class! This is the same friend that ran her first 5K ever with me last month (see picture). She's had a great year so far- Go Jen! I felt completely exhausted after the class was over, but in a good way. A way that reminded me of how great it felt to push my body in that way, that in my opinion, is so different than running. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE running, but I have also always loved having diverse workouts and not doing the same thing over and over. This was just the change I needed from what I have been doing lately!

I am excited to say I do plan to join the gym and am looking forward to a LOT more spin classes (as well as yoga, pilates, kickboxing, etc) in the future! Now if only I can convince the hubby to come to spin class with me too... ;)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking on me throughout the workout! Good Times :)
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh..spin class. I've never done it and I'm scared to death to try! LOL Yay for a local gym!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen- that's what friends are for!! haha
    Karen- You should try it! I promise after you get through the first class you will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard it is a lot of fun. I would like to try it, but there are not any classes nearby me.

    ReplyDelete