First of all I will say, I am not a doctor so please consult your doctor if you are dealing with an injury such as ITBS for more information/treatment.
From what I have researched, ITBS, or iliotibial band syndrome, is a common injury in runners. The IT band begins in the hip and goes down the thigh, to the knee and into the shin. The most common symptom of ITBS (and the one I've continually experienced) is pain on the outside of the knee. This is often worse when running up or down hills. I have also found it to be worsen while doing sprints, or increasing mileage too quickly. From an article in Running Times (see here), it is discussed how many runners lack strength in their core and hips which can lead to issues with the IT band. Overtraining or doing too much too soon doesn't seem to be a good idea either!
So why am I telling you all of this? Because ITBS has been a frustrating injury for me since January 2010. Over a YEAR now!
My first half marathon was the Disney Half Marathon in January of 2010. I did really great in training up until about 3-4 weeks prior to the race. This is due to that fact that I was finishing up my masters degree, interviewing, then accepting and then searching for a place to live near my current job at UCF in Orlando. It was a very hectic time! The half went decent with no injuries during the race (had a GREAT time running with my awesome RB-running buddy, Karen!). It was still a little slow because Orlando was experiencing record lows and it was pretty miserable in that regard. However, a few weeks later during a short speedwork workout, I noticed a sudden, sharp, and EXTREMELY painful stabbing sensation on the outside of my left knee. Ever since then my runs have never been the same!
I decided that I would take it VERY easy and if I had ANY knee pain I would back off and I'd just take my time with it. Training went great... I actually made a new friend right around this time who ran with me through a majority of my runs- I don't know how I would have gotten through it without her!
After this injury my knee was in pain for a few days even when I wasn't running, which was new. However, after a few weeks my right knee never seemed to really hurt again. Now my LEFT knee is actually acting up again at the moment...
Due to ITBS I have made a lot of excuses in the last year as to why I need to go slow or why I can't run or do certain workouts. I am DONE making excuses! While I will of course not do anything to hurt my IT Band or anything unsafe, I need to get this under control. I have not been doing my IT Band exercises or foam rolling for the past month with the crazyness of moving and I can feel that affecting my knee.
Here are some things I plan to do from now on to keep my IT Band from being an excuse:
- Do my IT Band exercises, stretches, and foam rolling at least 4 times a week.
- Always stretch after a run and warm up properly.
- Slow down if my knee is in pain and make sure I'm doing enough stretching, etc.
- Incorporate hill and speed work into my running routine
- Embrace cross training (such as spin class, workout videos, elliptical, etc.)
- Do more core work- such as a pilates class
- Look into getting sports massages for my IT Band if necessary (this will honestly be a last resort as I'm just so cheap, but if I need it I will get it)
So with that in mind- I did a workout video today through Exercise TV! I love doing the on demand workouts through Exercise TV- check it out if you have digital cable or go to their web-site. I did Jillian Michael's 6 Week 6 Pack video so I could work on my core strength. It is HARD but felt good!
Even though these are super dorky and embarassing, I thought I'd post some silly pictures my husband took of me during and after. Don't laugh at me too much! :)
Me saying "Why are you taking pictures of me? I'm gross and sweaty!" lol
:) I'll keep y'all posted on how my list goes! I am hoping to see improvements that last. Good night everyone and thanks for reading!

I love the pictures! I hope your knee starts feeling better. The Princess Half will be awesome next year!!
ReplyDeleteI hope your knee starts feeling better! I know that is very frustrating. I had to buy a knee strap the other day because the inside of my knee is starting to hurt a little bit. I know it is not my IT band, but I am going to get my brother to look at it after my half this weekend and see what he thinks. He is a orthopedic surgeon, so hopefully he will have some good advice. I think I may have to try the Jillian micheals ab video. I need to strengthen that part of my body!
ReplyDelete