Again, in the spirit of easy, quick, and healthy, I found this recipe on Cooking Light and it's made it into our weekly rotation. I love when you find a recipe to something that you love, so much so that when eat it out you actually PREFER your recipe instead- and that's how I feel about this recipe! I will post the original recipe, but then tell you how I have changed it or substituted items. :)
Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
Ingredients
-4 cups very thinly presliced green cabbage (I buy pre-packaged and usually get the kind with carrots and radishes sliced up as well)
-1 cup chopped plum tomatoes (I've used all kinds of tomatos, and typically by Roma for this recipe)
-1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
-1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I have used dried and it works too)
-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I usually use the kind in the plastic squeeze container)
-5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
-1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
-1 pound tilapia fillets (I have used lots of different kinds of fish for this, when we recently made it we used red snapper that David had actually caught on a recent fishing trip!)
-1 teaspoon chili powder
-8 (6-inch) corn tortillas (I use whole weat tortillas)
Directions
-Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add juice, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss well to combine.
-Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish evenly with chili powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from heat, and cut fish into bite-sized pieces.
-Warm tortillas according to package directions (if desired). Spoon about 1/4 cup cabbage mixture down the center of each tortilla. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; fold in half. Serve tacos with remaining cabbage mixture.
Here is the nutritional information if anyone is interested in that!
Amount per serving
Calories from fat: 29%
Fat: 9.8g
Saturated fat: 2g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
Protein: 26.5g
Carbohydrate: 30.1g
Fiber: 4.4g
Cholesterol: 75mg
Iron: 1.4mg
Sodium: 445mg
Calcium: 162mg
I love them, and they're super yummy! Plus I eat the leftovers the next day for lunch without the tortilla like a salad almost, and it's delicious. Yum!
So yesterday I went to Body Works plus Abs class with a friend at my gym. I cannot say enough how much I LOVE that class!!! It's such a great way to get in strength training and do exercises I might not think to do on my own. Plus according to the LA Fitness website, it can burn up to 450 calories- yeah! If you are the member of a gym and they have this or a similiar class, I highly recommend it. You will probably leave looking like this though.
I came home and was too lazy to do any serious cooking (as usual) so I decided to have at-home pizza AGAIN. This time though I used english muffins instead of a tortilla, and I used a 4 cheese mexican blend cheese as I was out of mozzarella. It was still yummy!
Today will probably be more of a rest day- maybe take the furbabies for a walk and do my IT Band exercises! Hope you are all having a great day!
Have you ever gone to a Body Works class or something like it? Did you enjoy it?
Looks delicious!! Cant wait to see what else you cook!!!
ReplyDeleteyou are doing awesome with the recipes! yum yum! That class at the gym sounds awesome!
ReplyDeleteI am loving some of these recipes that you are putting up!! Delicious!! The fish tacos looks very yummy!
ReplyDelete