Monday, May 23, 2011

Making Our House a Home!

I can't believe we have been in our home now for 3 months! Some days it feels like we just moved in, others it feels like we've lived there forever. We are really loving it though... other than some incidents (like tables being caught on fire in our backyard, rocks being thrown at our glass door, and more recently- black spray paint all over our brand new white vinyl fence... fun...)

When we first moved in we got SO much done in a short period of time- we basically painted almost our entire house. We only have the spare bedrooms and dining room left to paint... we've painted all hallways/staircase, master bedroom, master bath, guest bath, half bath, kitchen, living room, loft, and laundry room. Phew! We also put up ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. After all that, we kind of stalled out... Our dining room is basically empty, we have nothing on the walls, and no lighting in our living room, dining room, or upstairs "workout/loft" area. I just recently bought lamps for our nightstands in the bedroom finally- before that we were basically walking around by cell phone light after we turned off the ceiling light. ;)

Yay for bedside lights now!!! hehe



The other day we finally took some time to put a few things up on the wall, just focusing mainly in the living room and kitchen. Now I am not the best interior decorator and I think the reason I put it off for so long is because it stresses me out. I also hate to spend a ton of money on stuff like this so I always end up with things I don't totally love. I'm trying to get better! I need to spend some $ on bigger pieces of artwork, etc. as I usually end up with framed pictures that are too small and look weird. A lot of my things are handed down as well!

David putting up my "Live, Laugh, Love" sign... I do have an obsession with that "mantra" lol

One of the first things I tried to do was put this little lantern I have on top of the cabinets in the kitchen. I realized since they're upgraded and taller than usual, anything up there was kind of hard to see... I decided I was going to put the lantern in the corner, but I couldn't really see what I was doing so as I went to set it down I hear it fall and go "THUD!" Turns out there is a whole in the corner at the top! lol.



Oops... haha!

Then I decided I'd just take cute pictures of my furballs instead. ;)
AWWW aren't they adorable? I'm not sure where I'm going to put this yet- one of my friends gave it to me as a housewarming gift... love it!



Princess is not as amused...


I decided to take another stab at decorating the cabinets. Thoughts? It's so basic but I think with the granite, color on the walls, etc. it looks okay kind of bare?



 Sorry for the flash but here are some things I added under the cabinets...


 So now I need a favor from y'all... I am COMPLETELY STUMPED as to how to decorate my master bathroom. We painted it and I really don't LOVE the color in there, but I really don't feel like doing it all over again. That room was a pain in the butt to paint!

Any suggestions???

Here is the entry into the bathroom with the closets on either side of the entry...



Help me!!! I have no idea what to do, what color towels to have, style/pattern for soap dispensers, etc. I just am not feeling this room at all! Thanks in advance! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the Live, Laugh, Love saying, too! :0) Glad you've gotten things on the walls! Your kitchen looks great! :0) I have no clue what to tell you about your bathroom. I think the color looks great!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color in your bathroom, but I am in no means a decorator, so I am not sure I could help you much. Your kitchen looks great though! You did an awesome job on that! I love things that say Live, Laugh, Love also. I have some trivets that say that on there hanging in my kitchen right now.

    ReplyDelete