After a late night on Friday, we woke up early around 5:30am or so on Saturday to get up and get ready for the drive to Winter Park for the race. I was sleepy but excited- I love 5k's! They are such a fun distance. I was a little mad at myself as I hadn't had the best workout/eating week, so I wasn't expecting to have that great of a race but I still wanted to push myself and have fun.
We headed out and got to the race plenty early, and found a parking spot... right next to a dumpster. lol. Kevin had to take off his regular shorts and wear his super short cross country star shorts.
Once we got all settled we headed to the race start. Kevin of course headed to the front of the lineup so he could go his super fast self. I kept closer to the back. ;)
Just a little background on this race. I believe they said it was the 19th Annual Run for the Trees. It is in a town called Winter Park which is basically an area of Orlando. Winter Park is well known for for large trees that form canopies over the streets, etc. The money for this race goes to the Winter Park Tree Replacement Fund. This helps replace many of the trees that were lost in hurricane damage during 2004, as well as other trees that may die during the year, etc.
The course itself is pretty cool too, as it runs through Winter Park and the last mile is on a privately owned wilderness dirt road that is complete tree-canopied. This area is only open to the public once a year for this specific event. The race started at one point and ended in the dirt road, so we did have to be shuttled back to the start line in buses.
OK so back to the race! I was ready to run! Even though I felt kind of gross and weak from a hectic weak, but oh well!
I started the race strong and was feeling good. The weather was really nice and not too hot or humid which was a pleasant surprise. It took me a little while to get in a groove because I had to do a lot of weaving around people and trying NOT to twist my ankle running up and down the curb. After a while it opened up and got easier. The race actually went by pretty fast, much faster than I remember the last two 5k's I did a few months ago. I was pushing myself and at that place where you feel like you can't catch your breath, especially at the last mile.
The last mile was cool though since it was in the canopied dirt road, so that kept it interesting. Before I knew it I was at mile 3 and I pushed myself to sprint... well half way sprint haha... for the short rest of the way. I saw the clock at just over 30:00 and was a little disappointed... but then I realized I crossed the starting line a little after the clock started so I had hope for under 30.
I met my brother back at the starting line and we grabbed granola bars and water. I was pooped!!!
We hung around and waited to see our results. One thing I will say that I don't love about races around here is the lack of yummy free food and things afterwards. Maybe I just got spoiled... but in Pensacola ALL of the races I did had SOOOOO much food. There was subs, pizza, hot dogs, beer, smoothies, etc. etc. etc. Lots of options! All the races I've done here basically have water, gatorade, bananas and granola bars. I mean it's fine and I shouldn't be eating all that junk at all, but I miss hanging out after a race and everything eating/drinking and having a good time. It seems to have a different feel here!
Anyways! So the race results came out and of course there was the typical mad rush to see. It took at least 15 minutes to squeeze my way through to see. See below. :) Please excuse my crude attempt at using paintbrush!
YAY!!! So while a chip time of 29:53 may not be reason to celebrate for most, I was very happy with my time! Especially after thinking I would do terrible due to my lack of exercise/good diet the past week. Now I'm really wanting to do another 5k where I'll actually be in a better place and hopefully get an even better time.
Afterwards we got to pick out free tree saplings as part of the race! I got a sycamore tree, and my brother got a river birth.
So all in all a great race! Afterwards my bro and I had a nice breakfast at starbucks with the pooches.
I had a good weekend after that too. My brother and husband and I went to Universal Studios that day for the last day of Mardi Gras celebration there and the 30 Seconds to Mars concert. We got some cajun food and watched the parade!
Then today I went out and had breakfast with my mom, dad and brother out at Melbourne Beach! I went to the beach afterwards with my dad and it was SO nice... I hadn't been to the beach in so long.
I am pretty exhausted though! I am sure I will sleep great tonight. ;)
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and has a great Monday tomorrow! Thanks for reading!
How cool, RB! Way to go! Congrats on breaking 30! Love that you each got a tree after the race! So neat! :0)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun race, and you got a great time! I like the races with a lot of delicious, maybe not so healthy food afterward as well.
ReplyDeleteway to go, you did great! love that you got a tree!
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! :)
ReplyDeleteKaren- Thanks!! It was a great run! I had broke 30 once before at my last 5k actually, I think that one was 29:43, so ten seconds faster than this time. lol
Heather- Thanks! Not as fast as you miss speedy! ;) haha! I am with you on lots of yummy food being so good after a race!
Heather- Thank you so much! Yeah the trees were a nice touch!
That is very cool about getting a tree. Great job on breaking 30. That is great for you!
ReplyDelete