Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Food and Running- my 2 fav things!

haha well running is a love/hate relationship... but for the most part the title is true. :)

I have gotten David to start back up with running and I really hope it sticks! It's so nice to have a running buddy and do something that doesn't cost us anything, and is so good for us! We went out for a run yesterday (I did 5 miles, David did about 2.5) and the weather was so nice and beautiful, david did great! He's having problems with his foot going numb so we need to figure out what's going on with that.

More importantly on the topic of FOOD... lol... we've realized there are a LOT of great places to eat here!!! Not just chain restaurants (although there are plenty of those too) but lots of really neat places that you can't find many other places than Orlando. We decided that we want to try and take pictures and do little reviews of places we eat at in Orlando for this blog, just for fun! :)

Sunday we went and explored Downtown Orlando. We went first to Lake Eola park to check out this farmers market we had heard about... it wasn't that amazing but still fun to walk around.















Afer that we just walked around for like an hour and worked up an appetite! We had no plans on where to eat for lunch but knew we wanted to eat someplace new to us downtown. We walked to the theater which is a cool new theater, the ones where you can order food and they bring it to you while you're watching. Well there are a couple places to eat right next to the theater in the Plaza and we settled on Urban Flats (http://www.urbanflats.net/). It's not a huge fancy place, but a nice little sit down casual but modern feel to it.

They obviously had lots of flat breads on the menu, and sandwiches and salads. I decided to go with the housemade meatball flatwich made with their homemade meatballs in a sandwich of garlic toast and "urban sauce." It came with a side salad called their "urban salad" which had greens, golden raisins, sunflower seeds, goat cheese (I LOVE goat cheese!), and honey white balsamic vinegrette (I'm looking at the website now, NO I didn't memorize that! lol). Let me just say it was AMAZING!!! The best meatball sub I have ever had... the ingredients tasted very fresh and it was cheesy but not overly greasy.


















David had the urban 'butter' burger made with angus beef and mushroom rub, with house made blue cheese butter and pancetta, with a side of twice baked red bliss potatoes. I had a bite of David's burger and I thought it was great, and he really enjoyed it as well! I think he liked my dish better though.
Afterwards we got to talking with our server, and he explained to us that they started in Orlando and only have a few branches. They buy their produce from local farmers and bake everything in a stone hearth oven. Everything is fresh in their restaurants, they use 100% whole wheat in their flatbreads, and they are always changing the menu based on the produce and items that are most in season and fresh at that time.

Needless to say, we were very impressed and definitely plan to eat there again!! A+ Urban Flats!

Also, unrelated to the food, but as we were talking with our server we were mentioning how we had just recently moved there and talked about where from.. well it turns out he used to live in Ft.Walton Beach, FL, and his mom helped open up Navarre High School (where David and I graduated!). Talk about a small world!
We're also excited because Cliff and Melissa are coming to visit this weekend, I'm sure we'll have to check out another yummy place to eat. :)

Lastly... I start work on Friday! Yay! I'm so excited to get to know everyone and get settled into my new job.

2 comments:

  1. Ya'lls food looks so delicious!!! I am so glad you got David running. I love when Brian runs with me, even if he is way ahead of me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! Those sandwhiches sound amazing! I love that top on you! It's super cute!!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete