Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Disney Half-Marathon!

So this past weekend was the long anticipated Disney Half-Marathon! I was pretty nervous, but it ended up being pretty fun even despite the FREEZING RAIN AND SNOW!!!!!!!! It was soooooo cold, I never thought I'd be warm again!

We decided to splurge and stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for the weekend (me, my parents, and brother). My Dad and brother did the half as well (and were much faster than me! lol)! We got so lucky and were upgraded to a savannah view at the lodge, meaning we could see the animals from our room!! That was SO neat!















Grandma and Joe also came up for the weekend to hang out and support us, so that was nice as well! :) We even got to have a nice lunch after the run and Christine met us at Bahama Breeze!

Another reason I went this past weekend was because it was an annual meet up for all the girls I have met on the DisneyBrides forum I've talked about before. We had a big meet up at the Grand Floridian to chat and take pictures, and a couple meals a bunch of us went to, which was really fun. One of the girls actually ran with me because we were at about the same pace and I am SO thankful for that!!! I don't know what I would have done during those 13.1 miles without her!!
















My time wasn't that great (nearly 3 hrs) but I was determined to just have fun and enjoy the run- all $130 worth!!! :P So we stopped for a couple pictures with the characters they have along the sides, etc. We really didn't walk or stop that much, but we were stuck in the last corral so a lot of time was spent weaving and trying to pass people and there were SO many people there, it never really opened up enough to get past everyone slower than you...
My wonderful hubby came to some of the viewpoints along the way and cheered us on! Then he grabbed my mom and they met us at the end (with coffee, more gloves and hats! lol) I was SO excited when I saw the finish line!!!!!!! Then to get the covetted Donald medal was awesome!!!

















My dad and brother did awesome! I can't remember exactly what their times were but it wasn't much longer than 2 hrs if I remember correctly.

I'm already planning the next half-marathon where hopefully the weather wont be so crazy!!! My running buddy and I are thinking about doing another Disney half-marathon in October! It's the Wine and Dine Half-Marathon during the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. You run and then get food and wine samples- totally up my ally!!! This one you get to run through 3 parks (Animal Kingdom, Disney Hollywood Studios, and Epcot) so it seems like it might be less long roads like this one seemed to have. We will definitely make sure to get in a different corral this time. :)

Oh and when do I start work? lol. Don't know yet! It is taking a while to get everything processed through HR but hopefully by Monday! I'll definitely post about that when there are any updates. :)
I hope everyone's doing well and enjoys the update from MickeyTown! :D

3 comments:

  1. I didnt' know you guys had a blog! Yay!!!! We had a great race! Can't wait for the Wine and Dine!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah I started it mainly to get family up to date with all our happenings, but I'm not sure if anyone's reading it. LOL. I'm so excited for Wine and Dine!! When are you planning on registering?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure...we're still working out the details. I booked a bounceback for POR but I see that POFQ is one of the race sponsor hotels. Then Jason tells me he wants to stay at the Poly if they offer free dining so we'll see! (which is also a sponsor resort) lol I'm going to have to tweak our reservations anyway because we are going on a 4 night Disney cruise...Sunday through Thursday (sept 26-30)...then staying on site Thursday through Sunday (sept 30-oct 3)(with that Saturday night being the race). The Halloween 5K through the MK looks neat, too...then I could say I "ran" through all 4 parks in one day! lol That's early in the morning and late at night though...I don't want to crash for the half! lol We'll see!

    ReplyDelete